PRINCIPAL LARGECAP FUND REVIEW
Principal Largecap fund, a newly launching equity mutual fund by NFO (New Fund Offering) between 28th September 2020 to 12th October 2020. During this NFO period, you can get 1 unit for Rs. 10 as NAV (Net Value Asset).
The fund will impress the investor, as it has two facilities
- MY GAIN
The tagline of the fund is “Get Bigger Together”. As it mentions together, the fund is going to invest in both India and American large cap funds.
Let have a deep dive into the fund overview and other aspects.
PRINCIPAL LARGECAP FUND – OVERVIEW:
- This is the first-ever Largecap fund which is investing in top companies of India and America.
- An open-ended equity fund which invests predominately in Largecap stocks.
- The fund will be allocated by 80-85% of Largecap stocks from Indian companies and 15% in the US companies.
- It is compared with NIFTY 100 TRI as a benchmark
What are Largecap Stocks?
India – Top 100 companies of Indian stock market decided by the market capitalization are termed to be Largecap stocks
America – The companies with a market capitalization of more than $50 Billion are the Largecap stocks.
- The fund is completely diversified with 45 – 50 Largecap stocks across 4-5 sectors.
- The fund has categorized under a moderately high-risk profile.
- This fund will benefit them long term investors to hold their investments for another 20 years.
- Also, those who have an interest in US stocks can opt for this fund.
PRINCIPAL LARGECAP FUND – FACILITIES:
As we informed earlier of this article. The fund comes with two facilities to benefit the investors too,
- Protect their capital from the market crash or fall.
- To leverage the return as set by investors as the target rate.
The facilities are,
- The facilities are used whenever the market falls sharply to less than 3%.
- 25% of the fund will be allocated to the Principal Large-cap fund and 75% of the fund will be parked in the Principal Cash Management Fund.
- In case the market doesn’t fall, the fund from the Principal Cash management fund will automatically transfer to the Principal Large-cap fund.
- This facility is used for triggering the targeted returns as per the investor’s appetite.
- As per this facility, when the investment amount in the Principal Large-cap fund reaches the target rate of return.
- The fund amount or Units from principal large cap funds can be shifted to any principal funds as per the investor’s choice.
ADVANTAGE OF PRINCIPAL LARGE CAP FUND:
- Large cap stock investments will always have low risk compared to other companies.
- Investing in US stocks will have extra Dollar appreciation in value. The dollar cost in 2010 was Rs. 60 and currently, it is around Rs. 74.
- The option is SMART is really awesome. An investor should be more vigilant on protecting the cash.
- The large cap companies have steady revenue and will have sustained growth in the future.
- Principal mutual funds AMC has over 141 year’s experience in handling US stocks.
- Investing in fundamentally strong companies.
- Principal manages asset values of twice of total Indian mutual fund industry in the US.
- Will get a chance of investing in World-leading companies like Amazon, Apple, Alphabet, Google, Netflix, JP Morgan, etc.
INDUSTRY AVERAGE – LARGE CAP FUNDS:
- Expense Ratio for Direct plan – 1.22%
- Expense Ratio for Regular plan – 2.24%
- The Category average of large cap funds returns are
- 1 year – 0.75%
- 2 years – 3.61%
- 3 Years – 4.51%
- 5 Years – 7.97%
- 7 years – 11.23%.
- Category average Risk Management
- Standard Deviation – 17.22
- Beta – 0.81
- Sharp Ratio – 0.05
- Treynor’s Ratio – 0.01
- Jension’s Alpha – (1.51)
- The number of holding (category average) – 43.53 stocks.
- The scheme comes with both Direct and regular plans. Also has both dividend and Growth options
- The minimum one-time investment starts with Rs. 5000 to open the fund.
- A systematic Investment plan can be chosen by investing a minimum of Rs. 500 per month.
- To start the SMART facility, the minimum investment will be Rs. 25000.
- Systematic Transfer Plan can opt from Rs. 1000 per month in a minimum of 6 installments.
- No entry load. Exit load of 1% if redeemed within 365 days.
PRINCIPAL LARGECAP FUND – FUND MANAGERS PROFILE:
Mr. Sudhir Kedia:
- He has an experience of 13 years in equity research in AMC’s.
- Prior to Principal Asset management company, he has worked with Mirae AMC, and ASK investment.
- In principal AMC, he looks after 3 funds
- Principal Tax Savings Fund
- Principal Equity Savings Fund
- Principal Midcap Fund
- The average 5 years returns of these 3 funds are around 8%.
- The return of these funds is not impressive. The category average is at 10.5% per annum
Mr. Anirvan Sarkar:
- He has an overall 9 year’s experience in sell-side and buy-side research.
- Prior to Principal AMC, he was associated with Motilal Oswal securities, Equirus Securities, CRISIL Global research, and candlestick advisor.
- In principal AMC, he manages the Principal Global Equity fund.
- The 5 years return of the fund is 7.24% per annum
INSIGHTS TO INVESTORS:
- Investors who look for a long term investing with consistent performance can choose the fund.
- Currently, please stand away from investing in the Equity market. As the market may correct or crash at any point.
- Once, the market corrects. You can start investing in these types of funds.
- Most funds of Principal AMC are more volatile than the category average and NIFTY 100 TRI index.
- SMART facility and US stocks are seeming to be positive take points.
- The fund manager’s history is very pathetic.
Also, have a look at the basics of Equity Mutual funds